Subject: Mail problems
From: [email-masked] (John Crookshank)
To: [email-masked] (lightwave)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 23:11 CDT

on 17-Aug-95 23:31:03, davewarner ([email-masked]) Emailed: 

> My apologies to everyone...the recent lull in mailing list activity was
> my  fault (sorta) and has been corrected. (I hope!)

> As far as the multiple message repeats problem, I'm not sure why it's 
> occurring, but I am looking into it....it only seems to be occurring
> with  one or two user's messages, so it may be a problem local to their
> system,  or it may be that WebCom is suffering some major growing pains.

> "Sorry for the inconvenience..."

>                                      -David Warner
> [email-masked] sent this message.
> To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
> Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
> (DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
> Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]

Dave, all these mailing list messages are suddenly failing to be
intercepted and parsed into their respective folders by my reader software.
I believe the reason is that the To: and ReplyTo: fields are screwed up in
the Mail List software. (That's what my offline reader software looks at to
determine if a particular email message is really email to me, or a mail
list message, which then gets moved into a dedicated folder for that
particular mailing list.) Suddenly, everything is just staying in my email
folder.

This last bunch of messages show the To: address as the actual poster
instead of [email-masked], and they show the ReplyTo: address as
[email-masked]. Some of these messages also show addresses with
two webcom's in the address, ala [email-masked].

Several of today's messages show a To: address of
[email-masked], and are calling the list lightwave-l.

If I look at a couple of the new messages that DID get intercepted
properly, I see headings of:

Followup-To: Email 
Reply-To: [email-masked]

These fields aren't present in the "bad" messages at all.

I think these inconsistencies may be at least partially responsible for
some of the mail list problems. I know they cause problems at my end,
suddenly I'm back to the "old days" with all my mailing list messages
showing up in my email box instead of nicely sorted out in separate
comferences in my reader software.

   ----------------------------------------------------------------
  |      John Crookshank         |       [email-masked]             |
  |  MicroTech Solutions, Inc.   |  http://www.digiweb.com/~johnc/ |
  |----------------------------------------------------------------|
  |   Desktop video systems dealer - finger/www for more info.     |
   ----------------------------------------------------------------

--
[email-masked] (John Crookshank) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]